Friday, January 27, 2012

TAST Week 4 Cretan Stitch {Gail}

Now I'm starting to feel a little crazy! Like a Crazy Quilter, that is! I enjoyed learning this stitch -- between it and the feather stitch I finally feel like I can begin doing some authentic CQ seam treatments. YAY! Then my daughter's and my blog here can really go "crazy" with everything from soup (to crochet to scrapbooking to costumes) to... well, nuts if I decide to incorporate them in a CQ block. (hopefully someone remembers that saying, from soup to nuts?)

Once I did small samples of both open and closed Cretan Stitch, I was compelled to attempt something organic. Looking at various examples on the internet was so inspiring, and discussions of this stitch always mentioned leaves. So, I sketched then I stitched. Here are my first attempts on my doodle cloth.


I need practice, and/or possibly just different fabric, to do a better job spacing my stitches on the leaf. (click to enlarge) 
I started on the left, can you tell? ;)


Happy Stitching!
Gail

7 comments:

  1. Your stitching is perfect..I can not believe for the first time you are soooo good.
    KAthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your leaf is looking good!
    Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your leaf is looking good - and yes, one can just about make out where you started from i think

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind comments! I can see where I put the leaf down for a couple hours and came back to it -- I felt so much more at ease stitching the second time and I think the plait down the middle looks more uniform. So useful a stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your leaf is perfect, and your stitch so regulat !

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY nice. LOVE your leaf - beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete